Welcome to ‘Modern Korean Economic Development’ Class Website!
Spring 2018, Waseda University (早稻田大學)
Professor: Kim, Sei-Wan
Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea
Last Updated June 29, 2018
Lecture Note and Reading Materials
Announcement & Homework
Please fill out the ‘Tell me about yourself’ file and send it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Lecture note 3: Macro Variables (newly added as complementary to lecture 3 for understanding macro variables)
· Offline Lecture on May 18th (Friday): There will be an offline lecture at Waseda campus on May 18th (Friday).
Hope to see you all face to face then!
· You can talk to me through SKYPE.
My SKYPE ID is ‘swan7227.’
I will be on line from 30 minutes before class time. If you want to see me over SKYPE other than above time, email me for arrangement.
· One student from this class will be invited to Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea in August 2018. Ewha Womans University provides air ticket, room and board, and sightseeing in Korea. Professor Baak, Saangjoon at Waseda University will interview applicants in the middle of Spring semester. Thanks!
· Homework 1: Summarize my interview on Korea-US FTA (free trade agreement) and then turn in to Jaehyun at email@example.com by April 20th (Friday). Thanks!
· Homework 2: Summarize Reading 1 of ‘Lessons from Korean Economic Growth’ by Susan Collins then turn in to Jaehyun at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 11th (Friday). In her article, pay attention to Korean government’s policy stability. Thanks!
· Notice on Short Quiz (May 11th):
There will be a short quiz with only 5 questions on May 11th. Actually this quiz result will be used as a reference in deciding invitation to Ewha W. university in summer.
· Homework 3: Summarize my interview on Samsung Chaebol and then turn in Jaehyun at email@example.com by June 1st (Friday).
In the interview, pay attention to Samsung’s new share owner friendly strategy. Thanks!
· Notice on Mid-Term Exam (June 8th):
The Mid-Term exam will be given on June 8th.
More details on the exam comes later. Thanks!
· Credit on the Quiz on May 11th:
I’ve found that some of you are interested in the credit from previous quiz.
10% of total credit (100%) will be given to the quiz on May 11th. For reference, the mid-term has 30%, and the final has 60% of total credit. Thanks!
· Homework 4: Summarize my interview on Global Debt Increase and then turn in to Jaehyun at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 22nd (Friday). Thanks!
If you have a question on grading, please talk to Minyoung at email@example.com
· Homework 5: Summarize my interview on Far Eastern Economies and then turn in to Jaehyun at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 13th (Friday). Thanks!